Outbreak Surveillance Data Analyst
The Office of Epidemiology, Division of Surveillance and Investigation at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Outbreak Surveillance Data Analyst. This individual will be a member of the Outbreak Surveillance Program supporting public health surveillance efforts utilizing the Virginia Outbreak Surveillance System (VOSS).
- Perform quality assurance activities on VOSS data to improve the timeliness, integrity and reliability of outbreak data.
- Maintain data analysis projects using REDCap, R, SQL, MS Excel, and Tableau softwares.
- Assist supervisor and other team members to identify, document, and develop corrective action plans to resolve VOSS data quality issues.
- Coordinate VOSS system enhancements to improve functionality and data quality.
- Support VOSS user management activities, including enrolling new users and verifying account access.
- Collaborate on public health communications efforts to respond to outbreak data questions from the public and internal groups.
- Assist with other outbreak surveillance projects as needed.
- Support emergency preparedness and epidemiology response efforts for the Outbreak Surveillance team and/or the Division of Surveillance and Investigation as needed during public health events (e.g. COVID-19).
- Knowledge of public health surveillance principles and practices.
- Experience with data management and quality assurance of large datasets using Excel, REDCap, SQL, or R.
- Ability to plan and follow data evaluation strategies and learn new software tools.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, including experience communicating scientific or technical information to different audiences.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work independently and with limited direct supervision.
- Degree in health sciences or public health preferred.
Compensation: Negotiable up to $26 per hour
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Work will be conducted remotely until further notice; must have access to reliable internet.
Position Type: Contract position hired through contracting agency, 22nd Century Technologies
How to Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to Emily Wilkinson, Outbreak Surveillance Coordinator - VOSS@vdh.virginia.gov Open until filled - apply now.