Library Public Communications Specialist
An ideal Public Communications Specialist promotes the Library and its programs to the community to connect patrons to library resources which will improve their quality of life.
Performs difficult skilled technical work conducting a promotional and information program for the Library, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Library Director.
- Position Responsibilities: Uses social media marketing techniques (blogging, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc) to increase visibility for and participation in library programs, services, and activities.
- Interprets and disseminates comprehensive and technical information through a variety of media to stimulate interest in library programs and to inform the staff and the public of the operations and activities of the Onslow County Public Library.
- Strategizes with and educates the Library management team and other community partners on incorporating relevant social media techniques into the library’s culture and into all OCPL services.
- Functions as the Library webmaster – routinely updates and enhances agency’s website to promote library programs and online services. Updates the Library promotional slides to include upcoming programs and other supplemental information.
- Plans, writes, and edits Library publications on informational and promotional matters.
- Coordinates with all Library divisions to ensure the most current, valuable, and applicable information is being sent to the public via the most effective media.
- Coordinates the development of the Library’s brand, advertising, and programs to ensure a consistent message is being disseminated across all platforms.
- Creates materials to promote programs, services and digital resources, and to market the Library at events, and assists in creating the format and curricula for schools, daycares, and other outreaches using professional standard graphic design concepts and software.
- Researches demographics and uses results to create targeted advertising and educational materials that promote Library priorities.
- Records and edits videos for virtual library programs and library promotions.
- Writes for the press, radio, and television on a variety of technical, controversial or otherwise complex subject areas; writes feature articles for newspapers and outside publications.
- Represents the agency or division head in developing and coordinating publicity and informational matters with other public and private agencies and organizations.
- Takes photographs for departmental publications and to illustrate news releases and feature stories.
- Plans and prepares agency displays and exhibits.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member, if appointed or volunteers.
Qualifications:Demonstrated skill in graphic design and relevant software. Familiarity and skill with social media platforms. Knowledge of website management. Ability to meet deadlines and shift priorities as needed. Dependable, organized, focused and able to successfully manage multiple projects; attention to detail, creative thinker and highly productive. Considerable knowledge of the techniques for disseminating information to the public through a variety of news media.
Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of planning, writing, and editing publications. Ability to write according to correct English usage and accepted standards for press publications. Ability to edit and analyze informational material prepared by others. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of the press, radio, and television and other persons contacted in the course of work. Ability to operate a personal computer and standard office productivity software
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:Bachelor's degree with coursework in marketing, graphic design or related field and moderate experience in communications, public relations, or publicity work, or equivalent combination of education and experience
In order to be considered for this position, you must upload:
- Your final transcript showing the date that your degree was awarded and/or any required certificates or licenses must be uploaded with your application even if you are a current employee or we have received it with a previous application.
- A portfolio of articles and/or press releases, flyers or brochures, and screen shots of social media posts that you have written and created for an organization or business must be attached to this application.
Salary will be determined based on qualifications, internal equity, budget, and market considerations.